The workshop goals relate to the specific PDC 2018 conference themes such as Infrastructures and complex challenges and Domain-specific applications (e.g. city-making and datafication) by doing the following:
- Bring together researchers and practitioners who are conducting participatory design research at the intersections of sustainable smart cities, urban informatics, urban interaction design, IoT, and notions of the more-than-human;
- Network participants;
- Collect case studies of designs in this space;
- Bring together critical, theoretical, and methodological approaches to inform future work in the area;
- Make audiences working in the space of sustainable smart cities within participatory design aware of emerging more-than-human perspectives, including the opportunities and challenges of the topic, and;
- Foster the research community and solicit authors and audiences for an edited book on the subject.